Otorohanga – a thriving rural service town with excellent shopping and service industries.
Kawhia – a coastal village on one of New Zealand's most beautiful harbours; a stronghold of Maori culture and tradition.
- Otorohanga is home to the world famous Kiwi House & Native Bird Park.
- Otorohanga has successfully branded itself as New Zealand's official Kiwiana Town.
There's a main street Kiwiana Display Gallery, murals, sculptures and beautiful flower baskets. Even the public toilets are a light-hearted tribute to Kiwiana and NZ's popular culture!
- Otorohanga is on a major tourist route - Waitomo Caves Village and an amazing range of tourism and adventure attractions are only 15 minutes from the centre of town
- There are stunning West Coast beaches at Kawhia and Aotea - 1 hour's drive
- It's central and very accessible:
- Auckland - 2 hours
- Hamilton & Hamilton Airport - 45 minutes
- Central North Island Skifields - 2 hours
- Taupo, Rotorua and East Coast beaches - 1½ hours
For those planning a visit, a week will give you time to enjoy all there is to see and do; you need at least a long weekend to experience all our most famous attractions, everything from the Waitomo Caves to beautiful Kawhia on the West Coast.
Otorohanga i-SITE Visitor Information Centre has a free booking service for visitor attractions.
This official information website, brought to you by the Otorohanga District Development Board Inc. has information for visitors, residents and people keen to establish a business in the Otorohanga District.